Blog Post #2
Yes we did!-John SmithNovember 5, 2008 We did it! I can’t believe I have been on the road since September 2007 campaigning for our now, President Barack Obama, the first African-American President!
The trip wasn’t easy. I pretty much stayed along my originally planned route of Salem, Oregon, Olympia, Washington, Twin Falls, Idaho, Rock Springs, Wyoming, Pueblo, Colorado, Dodge City, Kansas, Guyman, Oklahoma, Waco, Texas, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Greenville, Mississippi, Huntersville, Alabama, Nashville, Tennessee, St. Louis, Missouri, Frankfort, Kentucky, Raleigh, North Carolina, Richmond, Virginia, and Washington D.C., with just the addition of Chicago, IL, which is actually where I am as I write this. Having to drive to all these places, I had expected some car trouble, which unfortunately was more often than I wanted. To be honest, the car trouble was nothing compared to the resistance I experienced while trying to register people around the country.
As I traveled the country, I had many moments of hope. Most of my optimism and inspiration came from the people I worked with. They ranged from all ages, were mainly middle class, of various racial and ethnic backgrounds, and of different sexual orientations. The people I worked with represented the demographic of America and the diversity of people Obama appealed to. I have met so many people through this experience. I started not knowing one single person working on this, but Obama’s campaign did such a good job organizing us. We were able to mobilize and organize the campaign through mainly the internet and our mobile phones. I just had to login to my account at Obama’s website, look for different locations for voter registration campaigns, and show up. If there were any announcements about Obama’s campaign we needed to know, they were texted to us, so I had access to the latest campaign developments. Modern technology had a huge impact of this campaign.
Unfortunately, in this heated political atmosphere, I had some negative experiences while trying to register people. There were people told me that they would not vote for Obama for many reasons I consider racist and ignorant. Some of their reasons for not voting for him included because he was a Muslim, not an American citizen, and because he was black. I was so angry when I heard these. The first two are not even true! First of all, the Constitution protects freedom of religion, and secondly, Obama is a Christian, just like most of America is, and of course he is an American citizen, he was born in Hawaii, and last time I checked, Hawaii is part of the United States. I was most angry and saddened by those that told me they would not vote for Obama because he’s black. I was shocked that in America, the country that prides itself on being the melting pot and salad bowl, race is not only an issue but an obstacle for many Americans.
That’s enough of the negative talk, let’s get back to celebrating! Obama’s president! Woo hoo! He’s brought a lot of hope to the American people. With our current economy I’m eager to see how Obama’s White House staff will address the problems. Unemployment and home foreclosure’s have been rising, leaving more American’s losing their homes and unable to provide for their families. Obama has also committed to addressing healthcare, education, terrorism, environment and Middle East policy. All issues American’s are concerned with today.
Virginia N.
Period 3
Hi John,
ReplyDeleteYes We Did! "Woo Who!"
While I am very appreciative of all the amazing work you did, I am exhausted reading about all the time you spent on the road. A year would be out of the question for me at this stage of my life. Although my children are grown and no longer living at home, I do have my dog to care for and as mentioned before, my full time librarian job. I can't even imagine traveling alone, maybe as a woman I think I would feel more vulnerable on the road. I don't know anything about car mechanics! I am excited, as you are about the future and am now hoping for real health care reform!