Monday, January 4, 2010

Journey to Mecca Part 1


Hello. My name is Farhah, and I am a 17-year-old girl from New York City. Before I was born, my parents moved here from Iran. Sometimes it is difficult for an Iranian-American to fit in at a large public high school, but I hope that my Muslim faith and heritage will never be lost. I wear the Hijab, a veil that covers my hair and shows modesty and reverence to Allah. This gives me a since of identity and faith. Tomorrow is going to be a big day for my mother, father, 23-year-old sister, Amira, and me. We will be traveling to Mecca, a holy city in Saudi Arabia, to complete the Hajj Pilgrimage, which is one of the Five Pillars of Islam. We often travel by airplane to visit some of my relatives in Michigan, but never as far as to Saudi Arabia. I am exited, but a little nervous too. Most Muslims make this journey only once in their lifetime. We will be visiting many different holy sites, such as the Sacred Black Stone located in the eastern corner of the Ka'bah monument. The stone is considered to us to be very sacred, and we believe it was sent by Allah and touched by Prophet Muhammad and Abraham. I hope to make the most of this special pilgrimage, and am looking forward to tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. Traveling to the Mecca with Farhah and her family is something I would definitely do. I sympathize with her, because it must be hard to grow up and be so unlike her peers. I admire that she is proud of being different, instead of wishing she was just like everyone else. Farhah is serious about her faith, and is completing the Pilgrimage to learn more about Islam. Muslims usually only take this trip once in their life, so I think that Farhah and her family will try to do as much as possible which would make the trip more interesting. I think I would have a good time going to the Mecca with Farhah.

    Alex C.
    Period 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would really like to go with Farah because, as she said, it is a once-in-a-life-time opportunity for her. By actually having the chance to go to Mecca and completing the Hajj, she has furthered herself in her faith and in her knowledge of her faith.

    Kiran L.
    Period 1, World History

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traveling with farhah is something i would enjoy doing because seeing her interact with her own people in the land that she comes from would be a very interesting opportunity. Watching her reaction as she takes this journey and seeing all of the religious sites first hand that she holds close to her would be very inspiring.

    Jessica S.
    1st period, Nguyen WH

    ReplyDelete
  5. This trip sounds very interesting. Farhah sounds like a very privileged girl. she was able to embark on a very interesting trip that gave her many opportunities. I would enjoy going on this trip very much because her culture sounds very interesting and it would something I would love to experience!


    Elizabeth M.
    Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would enjoy traveling with Farhah and would enjoy talking to her about being an Iranian-American. It would be very interesting to see all the holy sites in the Middle East with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to travel with Farhah because I would also feel excited to go to a new place, yet nervous at the same time. Also, it seems that she will be visiting interesting places that I would also be curious to visit. I can understand how she may feel different, but proud of her faith despite what others may say.

    Gabriella D.
    Period 2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Farhah's seems to have a very well planned trip. Also, she seems very excited and interested in all of the places that she is visiting. I would love the travel with Farhah, not because we share the same religion, but because traveling to Mecca is one of the five pillars and Farhah takes her religion as serious as I do!

    Kathryne C.
    Period 9

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would definitely travel with Fahrah. She seems very nice and comfortable about herself. She is confident about her faith and how her faith leads her. In addition, it would be very fun to travel with her because she seems passionate about visiting this places and also very eager to learn and experience what she has not yet experienced. With her, I would be able to see the fun in going to Hajj.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would travel with Fahrah on her journey to Hajj. I think her background is very interesting and it will be fascinating to see how this family adjusts coming from New York. I think she would make a great traveling partner becuase she seems eager to learn even about her religion and visit new places, which would make for an exciting trip. And even though she admitts she is a little nervous she seems strong enough to overcome it and experience new and fun things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I would travel with Farhah. Most of the Muslim people I know are not at all as devoted to make it all the way to Mecca. Plus she lives in NYC so she speaks English, which would make things a whole lot easier to understand. In Mecca though I think I might ruin some of the sacredness due to the fact I have no idea of the importance of some of their idols in the city, so it might be offensive to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would travel with Farhah. She seems very easy going and devoted to her faith. She seems very excited to be visiting the religious places in Mecca. I am also very curious to see these places, even though I do not practice the same religion.

    ReplyDelete