
Hi! This is Farhah again, and right now I'm departing on a plane from my family's pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia. That was quite a journey! This pilgrimage is one of the Five Pillars of Islam, or one of the five requirements listed for Muslims in the Koran. When my family arrived to Mecca, we had to change into plain, ceremonial clothing, which is referred to as "Ihram", or "state of purity". My mother, 23-year-old sister, Amira, and I changed into long white dresses and removed all of our jewelry.
The most memorable part of the pilgrimage was the Ka'bah, a sacred black stone enclosed in an open-roof monument that has 24 gates. The stone was very large and coated with silver.We believe that this stone was sent by Allah and touched by Prophet Muhammad and Abraham. As we passed by the rock, I reached out to touch it and felt its cool, smooth surface. A special feeling stirred inside me, something that I've never felt before. This was truly a moment that I will remember forever.
Along the journey, we stopped at many other holy Islamic sites, including the Mount of Mercy and Sacred Mosque of Mecca. I met many people from various countries, including Iran, Syria, Pakistan, Indonesia, and Iraq. This has truly been an unforgettable journey on the Hajj Pilgrimage to Mecca.
This is a journey that I really would embark upon because it seems like along with going to Mecca for religious purposes, you also get a lot of good memories out of it. And you also get to learn more about your faith!!!
ReplyDeleteKiran L.
Period 1, World History
It sounds like Farhah had a wonderful time on her trip, and was an experience she will never forget. I think that it sounded very interesting and exciting and I too would want to take this trip. Although I'm sure that if I was of the Islamic faith I would find more significance, I still think it would be fascinating to go to the Mecca. There are so many amazing things to see that someone who isn't Muslim, like me, could still greatly enjoy the trip.
ReplyDeleteAlex C.
Period 1
From this post it seems that Farhah had a great time on her trip and that it was a great experience for her. Even though I am not Muslim like Farhah, I would take the same journey as her, even thought it would probably mean more to Farhah than to me like when she touched the rock. However I think it would be very interesting for me and a great trip as well.
ReplyDeleteGabby J Period 2
Farhah mustve had a great time on her trip. Being able to fulfill one of the 5 pillars of Islam must be a great and satisfying feeling. It seems that she really got it touch with her religion and learned a lot about where she came from which is very important. Be able to see so many religious sites and touching the Ka'bah as she said was a life changing experience and mustve left her feeling like a whole new person.
ReplyDeleteJessica S.
1st Period Nguyen WH
I don't think I would take the same trip, mainly because I am not Islamic. It sounds very fufilling and cool if you we're Islamic though. I would definitely go there if I were Islamic because it is one of the five pillars of Islam, and I would feel closer to my religion.
ReplyDeleteI like how Farhah felt something stirring inside him as he touched the rock. I wish I could feel what Farhah did, it must have made her trip. I'm not Muslim, but this trip sounds wonderful. You get to see the holiest part of your religion and meet people from around the world. It sounds great.
ReplyDeleteMichael H. P.9
Although I am not Islamic, I would definitely like to embark upon the same journey that Farhah went on. It seems like it would be so incredible and enlightening to touch the Ka'bah, knowing that it is the same exact stone that Allah, Muhammad, and Abraham laid their hands upon. This experience sounds like it would allow for a Muslim to become more in touch with their religion. Traveling to Mecca and completing one of the Five Pillars overall seems very interesting.
ReplyDeleteDana H. Period 1
I would like to embark on the same journey as Farhah. It seemed she had an incredible time and got to meet lots of interesting people. It would also be very interesting to see all the holy sites she mentioned and be able to see the Ka'bah.
ReplyDeleteFarah, it sounds like you had a lot of fun. Did you see anyone wearing hijabs? That would be interesting. Touching the rock Ka'bah seems very exciting when you know some of the most important people every have touched it. (But so have countless of millions of Muslims haha) I hope these memories last with you forever. I would be glad to take place on this trip and experience the Muslim culture.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like Fahra had an extremely interesting and fullfilling trip. The trip was interesting because she got to meet new people and see, firsthand, the Ka'bah and the other holy sites. Her journey was fullfilling because she completed one of the Pillars of Islam. I would love to have that feeling of accomplishment and all the knowledge she received throughout her travels. I would take this same trip if given the chance.
ReplyDeleteOverall i think this sounded like a very rewarding trip for Fahra! It seems like this journey was very special to her because she experienced religious encounters that she will be remembering all of her life. I think it is interesting how she got to visit many sacred places and meet many new people. Also she got to experience living a different type of living then she probably did in New York, such as the different clothes they had to wear. These are all experiences she will remember forever.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like Fahra had a very memorable trip. While it sounded like Fahra had lots of fun, I would not make the same trip, mainly because I am not Muslim and it would not mean as much to me to visit Mecca. It sounds like most of the activities that you did on this trip are much more enjoyable, and meaningful if you are Muslim.
ReplyDeleteEven though I am not Islamic, it sounds like a wonderful and exciting trip! I would take this trip in a heartbeat! I would love to see all the monuments and especially the black stone. It all seems so intresting, and I am so very curious to find out the history behind it! Overall, it seems like a fantastic trip!
ReplyDeleteSophie M.
Period 2