My challenging journey takes place in 780 CE. I am male, 59 years old, and my name is Abdul-Jabbar, which means Servant of the Mighty in Arabic. I am a rich Sunni Muslim caravan manager, and I live in Baghdad, Iraq. I was born in Hit, Iraq within a devout Muslim family. My family strictly followed the principles of the Koran, including the 5 pillars of Islam. My father rigorously educated me at home in mathematics and economics to prepare me to become a successful trade worker. My father’s efforts were successful because, when I grew up, I moved to Baghdad to start a successful career in trade. Because I am a rich and successful man, I, following the 5 Pillars of Islam, always try to help the poor whenever I can and I donate 2.5% of my wealth to them. Despite my strict following of the Koran, I still have one more pillar to complete, the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca. I have been blessed with one wife and 4 children, all of them boys. I have diligently trained my sons in business education and in the principles of the Koran, just as my father had done for me. I feel that one of my reasons for my devotion to Islam is my choice to be a camel caravan manager, which is what Mohammad was before he became a religious and political leader. Since the Battle of Talas between Arabia and China had ended in 750, and my financial stresses as caravan manager had subsided, I know that it is now safe to travel to Mecca, without government or financial interference, on the desert route by camel caravan from Baghdad. I will be traveling south to Kufa, then west to the oasis city of Ha’il, and then will continue south to Mecca. Kufa is the city where the Baghdad caravan will officially start its journey to Mecca since the pilgrims from Iraq meet there and gather their supplies before they leave for their pilgrimage. The caravan will then cross Nejd, or the central region of Arabia, to the city of Madinah, passing through the town of Ha’il on the way. East of Madinah, the caravan will next rest near the town of al-Rabadha on the way. The final stop of this journey will be Mecca itself. What I am really looking forward to doing on this journey is arriving at Mecca to pray next to the monumental Kaaba, a large stone structure that is the most important shrine in Islam, with the Black Stone inside of it. The Black Stone supposedly dates back to the times of Adam and Eve and was brought from Paradise by the Angel Gabriel. I fear I might face a treacherous sandstorm during my journey, but I am willing to brave that challenge to stand up for my faith. I will bring my best sheep with me to sacrifice during the Festival of Sacrifice in Mecca. I am looking forward to the most exciting and profound journey of my life, the Hajj, and achieving ihram, or the normative state of mind and body for Muslims who visit the sacred shrines in Mecca.Mitchell S-Period 2
This is me, with my camel, ready to go on my Hajj to Mecca.

This is Ha'il, one of the Arabian cities I will be traveling to.

This map shows the route to Mecca that I will be traveling with my caravan on.

This is my wife, in her veil, next to my house.

This is the Kaaba structure, the focal point of my Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.

These are some of my sons next to my home.

Links:
http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200401/journeys.of.faith.roads.of.civilization.htm
http://www.religioustolerance.org/isla1.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/780
http://webspace.webring.com/people/pk/kafat/Chron/Chron4e.html
http://www.ummah.net/family/masc.html
Response
ReplyDeleteI would travel with Abdul-Jabbar to Mecca. He seems like he is a very well educated man who could be beneficial throughout a long journey like the journey to Mecca. Sense he has much knowledge of camels, going through the desert with Abdul-Jabbar would leave me with little concerns of dehydration, hunger, etc. Also, because of his knowledge of math and economics, it seems like he would be smart enough to think on his feet in difficult situations.
Margo S. Per 9
I would like to have traveled with Abdul-Jabbar. They have a lot of unusual life experience that would have been exciting to listen to and learn from. Also, the trip to Mecca is historic and meaningful to many, and it would have been interesting to see how many people similar to Abdul-Jabbar made the same journey.
ReplyDeleteClaire R.
Period 1