Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Trip So Far

Blog Post #2 December 31st, 2007

I have had an amazing time so far! Saudi Arabia has many historic and religious sites. I am back in Makkah now. It is December 29th and I am almost done with my trip. So far, I have been to Makkah, Muzdalifah, Mina, and Arafat. While traveling to Makkah, I met a Muslim man named Mohammed. He and I both are deeply devoted to God. We traveled the same route. I just got back from circling the Kaaba. It was an amazing experience. Since, there are so many people traveling at the same time, everywhere was very crowded and dangerous. While I was there, I encountered several large crowds. It is very dangerous because people can get trampled. There are emergency vehicles stationed at posts in case anyone gets badly injured. It was really scary to watch people get stepped on and I saw a few get carried away on stretchers. I felt bad for them because they did not get to complete their Hajj. I have visited the Namira Mosque and it was truly amazing! It was a large mosque with little artistic details. When it was built, its beauty was not based on size but also on the detail and attention paid to it.

The mayor of Makkah is Osama Al-barr. He has worked very hard to make every Muslim’s trip to Makkah convenient and enjoyable. They set up emergency stations for the sick and injured, transportation services to and from Makkah, and even set up special roads for travelers. I deeply appreciate his generosity because these services have made my trip so much easier.

It was a great experience to be around those who believed in the same things as me. Everyone was a Muslim and we were all there for the same reason. I felt that we were all connected. I also witnessed a lot of Muslim culture while traveling. Markets were selling all kinds of Muslim clothing and items along the way.

When I was traveling I noticed that there are a lot of differences today compared to a long time ago when people traveled the Hajj. There were always the same traditions and methods of rituals. The difference is mainly in transportation. The traveling ways have changed a lot over time. Instead of traveling by foot, people now travel by car or plane to Makkah and other holy places. People used to travel by camel, caravan, or ship and it took years. It only took me about a week or so.

I met a lot of Muslims, including Muhammed. Everyone is very connected by their spirituality and the meaning of the trip. People from everywhere and of every class came. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find Muhammed after we circled the Kaaba. We got lost in the huge crowd.

I have really enjoyed my experience so far. It has been so enjoyable. I am glad I have been able to become a part of this. I am so excited to go home and share this with my family. Now, I feel very connected with my God.

Here is a picture of a huge crowd surrounding the Kaaba.

Here is a picture of me and others praying in the Namira Mosque

-Natalie M
Period 9

4 comments:

  1. You're trip sounds great!
    It's unfortunate that people were trampled, but at least the paramedics were there to take care of them.
    The Namira Mosque sounds beautiful. I can imagine that the attention to detail is mind-blowing.
    To feel so connected to millions of people and, especially, your God sounds great. I would love to feel that way. But, as I'm not of the Islamic faith, I would find that by different means. Although, the trip sounds as though even if you aren't Muslim, some destinations could still be enjoyable.
    Some landmarks like Namira Mosque would be cool to visit, although I wouldn't embark on the Hajj itself.

    Rebecca G.-9

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to take the same trip as you did. It seems like you met a lot of interesting and nice people, like Muhammed. I would be very interested in seeing the Namira Mosque and comparing it to the architecture we see today. I would also like to learn more about Muslim culture and traditions. Your Hajj journey seems very interesting and all of the sites you have seen all seem very different, so that the trip will never get old! Your trip sounds like a fantastic opportunity!

    Emily V.
    Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip sounded like a blast, the only sad part is about how people dont get to finish their prayer and have to be carried away on a stretcher. Besides that it seems like fun visiting all the diferent sights. I hope you get to do the whole trip again. You seem like you really like it and maybe youll meet another person who shares such a devotion to god as you

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish i could go on this trip becuase it seems intersting because of all the places you visited, i would also feel bad for the people who didnt get to finish there hajj but since im not muslim i couldnt relate to it the way other people could

    ReplyDelete