Tuesday, October 13, 2009

And on to the Silk Road

Hello! I am Qing, and I live pretty close by Yining, in China. I am 35 year old man, and I work for a merchant in the nearby city of Yining. I don't have a family yet, but I am able to take care of myself, although I can't afford too many luxuries. But that's okay, I'm very used to my style of living. Buddhism is also a big part of it, and if I did have a family, I would hope that they too would follow those beliefs.

The year is 742 A.D., and the Silk Road, a trading route, is thriving. This year, the merchant I work for asked me and a few other people, who also work for him, to bring a few things of his items to the Silk Road and see if we could trade them for anything more valuable or useful. The items that he wants us to trade for him are some furs, quite a few ceramic bowls and cups, and some bronze. Although he wishes he could go, he is not able because of personal family matters and he still has a very successful store to run while we will be gone. Some of the other people are bringing a few of their own personal belongings that they want to see if they can trade. I don't plan to bring anything to trade, since I don't have too many items that could be traded, or are worth it. The route that we plan to take is to leave from Yining, China, and go just outside of China, in the city of Almaty. Fortunately, it won't take us too long to get there. It may be a few days. But even if it does get longer, everyone will bring enough food and water to go around. So we should be fine if we head into any trouble.

We plan to bring a caravan, although with a camel and a couple of donkeys. My friend, Kang, is bringing one of his donkeys, who has showed much endurance and good behavior. With him, we shouldn't have to stop if the camel or the other donkey turns out to be only a little use.
I am quite excited for the journey on the Silk Road. We are leaving in a couple of days, although I am already fully packed. The merchant who I work for wishes us good luck and a safe trip. We have promised him that we will bring back a good amount of new things, and I hope that we can fulfill that promise!



Below is a picture of me, the taller one.


Below is the route I am using. I start at Yining, and end at Almaty.

Gabriella D.
Period 2

2 comments:

  1. Blog Response 3
    I would like to travel with this person. I wouldlike to because it sounds like a good money earning trip.It seems that they will earn lots of money since their employeer runs a shop so im guessing they will make a big profit. I would also because they are traveling on donkeys and camels which seems like an effiecent way to get there. I believe that Qing and I would get along fairly well. I believe that with him and his fellow merchants I would be able to earn a big profit in their trade. They would keep me focused on money making.
    Allison G. Period 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. This person seems to know what he is doing, just from the sentence were he says that I am traveling in a group, not alone. Also it seemes that he has most of it planned out from the food to how long and how far they are going. Plus it seems that they will make a good profit off the furs cups and bowls, but the bronze should go for alot. Some reasons I don't woud be the one camel and maybe two more animals. And they only plan on a few guys and since the silk road is thriving there may be some trouble along the way. Truthfully I wouldn't go for the last two reasons, because first I don't want to walk all the way and second I don't want to have to carry somthing heavy all the way. Also I would prefer not to be killed or stolen from because thats a lose lose situation. although this person isn't hard to handle I tstill say no!

    ReplyDelete