Monday, October 19, 2009

Fulfilling a Promise


Hello! It is Qing again. I have arrived back from my trip to the Silk Road a few days ago. It was very enjoyable, and I hope to return again. The trip did take a couple of days longer than we thought, but we had plenty of food and water to last us an extra week. The people I went with were my good friend Kang, who brought one of his trusty donkeys, and four other people that work for the merchant that I work for. We all enjoyed the trip.


The items we brought to trade were some furs, quite a few ceramic bowls and cups, and some bronze. The merchant that I work for had us bring those because he wanted us to see if we could trade anything for them. He couldn't go for family matters and he still had a store to run. What we got in return was some spices, ivory, and a small amount of gold. I was quite surprised that a few Europeans would actually want some of the ceramic bowls or cups. I understood that they can't be made in Europe, but they are so popular here that it is hard to imagine. But we were not able to trade everything; we had to bring a couple of furs and bowl back with us, but the merchant wasn't upset or anything. He was just as surprised as I was, and quite happy.


We did meet a few people along the way, mostly other people from China, and a couple of Europeans. No one we knew was on the Silk Road, but we only went a short distance, from Yining to Almaty, which is just outside of the Chinese border. The camel and donkeys behaved fine, and the only problem that we really encountered was that it took a little longer than we thought. But it really was no trouble.


I enjoyed going to the Silk Road, and hope to do it again!



Above is one of the donkeys we brought along.
Gabriella D.
Period 2

12 comments:

  1. This has definitely been a successful journey, though it must be hard to travel all that way on a donkey. However, this person seems to have a good attitude towards his/her trade (despite the strenuous travel), and would be an enjoyable person to travel with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip did seem enjoyable– and interesting! Thank goodness you had extra food and water, because you never know what happens with trips like these. That's great that you traded so much... this will definitely help improve China's relationships with other countries, so we both can share our ideas and goods. It's great how you got to meet so many interesting people on the way!
    –Rachel J., period 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. This trip sounds like it was really interesting and no problems occurred. i would like to take this trip if i had the chance, because it was not too long and not too short. while being able to observe the outside world you still got to trade and do your job which will earn you money. A trip and still being paid sounds like a good deal to me!

    Gabby M.

    9th period

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trip seemed to go very well and luckly you came prepared because trips like these are umpredictable especially when you dont have very much prior imformation and it looked like you really made a differance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would enjoy going on a trading mission. It would be interesting to see how valuable the things we make in our villages are to other people. It would also be eye opening to see what things are made in other places that they are willing to trade. Qing and Kang seem like they would be good travel companions because they were prepared when their trip was longer then expected. They also have a donkey which is better then traveling on foot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silk Road Response #3:
    I think I would take the same trip you took, because it went just fine. When you talked about taking some extra time, that must have made you worrisome. Luckily, you conveniently brought along extra food and water that would last a week, so you cut it close to the curb there. I think it would be fun to meet the Europeans for the first time. New people are always interesting and have many things to say. Also, it seems like it was a relaxing trip through China, something that really would make me want to go. In the end, a trip like that sounds enjoyable!

    By Charlie Mowery, World History Period 1

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would definetly take this trip. althoough i first thought i was skeptable, but i would have gone. lukely you had the extra food so you could stay out longer. also i was worried about the amoun of animals and transportation but you ended with only one and you made it. when meeting the europeans back then i wonder if you did any tradeing with you? i was also worried that you would be killed by bandits along the way, but you wern't and you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would enjoy going on a trading mission. It would be interesting to see how valuable the things we make in our villages are to other people. It would also be eye opening to see what things are made in other places that they are willing to trade. Qing and Kang seem like they would be good travel companions because they were prepared when their trip was longer then expected. They also have a donkey which is better then traveling on foot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would enjoy going on a trading mission. It would be interesting to see how valuable the things we make in our villages are to other people. It would also be eye opening to see what things are made in other places that they are willing to trade. Qing and Kang seem like they would be good travel companions because they were prepared when their trip was longer then expected. They also have a donkey which is better then traveling on foot.

    Annie K
    Period 9

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought that your trip was overall a success. I don't think that getting home late was a total loss in your case I just think that it may make the journey longer and more enjoyable. You seemed like you treated a lot which is good. I think that you overall had met some accomplishments but you didn't meet many vivid characters. I don't think I would go with you on this trip because I don't think it would be interesting enough.

    Leah callahan Period 9

    ReplyDelete