Good morning! My name is Mingzhu; I am twenty years old, and live in Xi’an, China. Being the oldest child in a low class, Buddhist family, with six children, I have always had a lot of responsibilities. My mother passed shortly after having my youngest sister, Wu, who is now five years old. Also, my father works in the fields all day. So as you can imagine, I have played an important role in my family. I have been the one who cooks dinner, cares for the children, cleans the house, and washes the laundry form many years now.
One day many years ago, as I was outside my home drawing, and a woman walked by me, who was amazed with what she saw. Realizing the talent I had, I began to pursue my love for art. However, my father did not support this, he said I had to be the head of the household while he was gone. That didn’t stop me though; I have been drawing every day since then.
More importantly, the reason I am writing you is because today is the day that will be a major change in my life, the day that I have been looking forward to for many months now. I will begin to travel the Silk Road!
After working so many years on making my fine portraits, it is about ti
me I sell them, not only for me, but my family’s sake. The picture to the right is a portrait I drew and it is one of my favorites. In order to sell my paintings, I am going to travel along the Silk Road, with my brother Ming, who is sixteen. This took a while to convince my dad, but we have it all planned out. While we are gone, my brother Qing, and my sister Jai, who are both eighteen will care for the family.
Meanwhile Ming and I will be traveling through China using our two donkeys as transportation. We have planned to stop and see all the different cities and what they have to offer. We would like to travel as fast as we can, but we plan on stopping in a few cities for about two to three days. These cities include the following: Xi’an, Lanzhou, Jiayuguan, Dunhiang, and Turpan. In Turpan we are going to stay a little longer than the other cities because that is where my father’s sister lives.
Well, it is time for Ming and I set to out. I will write again when we reach Turpan. Wish us luck, and so long for now!
One day many years ago, as I was outside my home drawing, and a woman walked by me, who was amazed with what she saw. Realizing the talent I had, I began to pursue my love for art. However, my father did not support this, he said I had to be the head of the household while he was gone. That didn’t stop me though; I have been drawing every day since then.
More importantly, the reason I am writing you is because today is the day that will be a major change in my life, the day that I have been looking forward to for many months now. I will begin to travel the Silk Road!
After working so many years on making my fine portraits, it is about ti
Meanwhile Ming and I will be traveling through China using our two donkeys as transportation. We have planned to stop and see all the different cities and what they have to offer. We would like to travel as fast as we can, but we plan on stopping in a few cities for about two to three days. These cities include the following: Xi’an, Lanzhou, Jiayuguan, Dunhiang, and Turpan. In Turpan we are going to stay a little longer than the other cities because that is where my father’s sister lives.
Well, it is time for Ming and I set to out. I will write again when we reach Turpan. Wish us luck, and so long for now!
Sincerly,
Mingzhou Lee
Kathryne Cole
Period 9
Period 9
I would like to go on this trip with Mingzhou Lee. Not only do we share similarities, but the trip of exploring the "outside world" seems like an exciting adventure. Mingzhou is going above and beyond what women were expected to do during this time period. Women were usually cooks and maids, but somehow she managed to find a way to make money and travel with an approval by her father. Mingzhou is considered very lucky.
ReplyDelete-Gabby M
9th period
I would really enjoy traveling with Mingzhou Lee. I respect her for being such a strong, independent woman by pursuing her love for art, even though her father told her not to. I, too, have a passion for art and would love to sell paintings along the Silk Road. I imagine Mingzhou's journey along the Silk Road will be quite life changing; as she sees wonderful art, different buildings, and many new cultures and people.
ReplyDeleteSilk Road Travel
Dana H. Period 1
I would love to travel with MIngzhou Lee. She is very enthusiastic, adventurous, and determined to follow her dreams. Mingzhou and I have many things in common which is also a reason why she would be a joy to travel with. We are both independent and fearless. If art was my dream I would try to pursue it just like Mingzhou. She's very brave to stand up to her father and do what she believes, even though he doesn't agree. Mingzhou's journey on the Silk Road with be fascinating. She'll see new ideas, different types of arts, cultures, places and many other amazing things. I wish you the best of luck Mingzhou.
ReplyDeleteMegan Danilek
Period 9
Lee, i would love to travel with you. You seem like you a man having a hard time taking care of your family, so I would like to help you sell those paintings. Also traveling sounds exiting, i want to go on the silk road with you to sell those beautiful paintings. Sounds very exiting, let me know if i can come
ReplyDeleteTameem Shihadeh
Per 2
I would love to travel with Mingzhou Lee. She is a responsible woman who has been through a lot which means she is wise. She knows how to cook, clean, and take care of herself which is good in a travel partner. She is also a creative and talented artist so I suspect she will be making a lot of money on her journey. She is courageous to go up against her dad and get him to allow her to go. The new things she will experience will be amazing and I wish I could go too!
ReplyDeleteNatalie M
Period 9