Monday, October 19, 2009

Route of a Lifetime!




Blog Post #2

Route of a Lifetime! – Kwan Lee

801 B.C.E

I’m already half way done with my exciting journey! I can’t believe a year has gone by already; it feels like just yesterday I was waving goodbye to my parents as I sat on my camel named Tian Tian (Sweet Sweet). Right now I am gazing at the Mediterranean Sea’s gorgeous blue water waving in this summer night’s breeze (my painting to the right). Earlier, I was walking all around the port city where I was staying. I saw people who looked different from I, and I saw the most gorgeous cathedrals here!

I stuck to my original route because I took so much time to make the map; I didn’t want to make a new map with my changes. The other travelers who where in my camel caravan agreed with my decision. I can’t even begin to explain how parched I was while riding through the Taklamakan Desert! I ran out of water when there was still a half a day left of traveling. I know that doesn’t sound too serious but it was terrible! No one else would share his water with me. Although, don’t blame them because they need their water to survive. Soon after when we arrived in Kashgar, (my second place to sell my goods) I bought 4 liters of water and some of Kashgar’s famous dates!

As I was setting up my stand I keep seeing a young child who would came near me, then run away, then do the same thing again. After I set up my stand, I neatly placed the goods I brought. 5 yards of silk neatly displayed, 5 pounds of tea, 3 porcelain vases, and a few paintings that I did myself. These aren’t the only goods I brought with me on the trip; I’m not going to display everything on each trip. Yet again, this young child came near me. This time, she decided to communicate with me. She didn’t speak my native tongue of Chinese. So, she came up to me handed me a fresh piece of fruit gestured, and walked away. Although she ever said a word, I felt a connection with her. It seemed like the people here at Kashgar are surprisingly welcoming.

The next morning came to soon, at promptly 5:30 a.m I arise and was on my way to Bactria (located in Central Asia). As my fellow travelers and I make our way to Bactria we started talking about the happenings in Asia (so we had heard from the townspeople in Kashgar). Although, I didn’t believe what most of these people were saying; it seems like some people in Kashgar don’t know what they are talking about!

I stayed serious as I could because I was about to ride through Transoxiana. I touched my string of coins before entering this area (shown above). I had heard countless stories about this place from many people. I had learned that it was an area where no government ruled! A few men came out from a building and circled our camel caravan. “ Would you spare some change or food?” they asked me. I replied, “ Sorry, I don’t have any extra food or money for you all.” They seemed like kind lower class peasants until each peasant pulled out a huge knife! I pulled the rains on my Tian Tian, pulled out my more advanced steel knife, and charged through the men. Luckily our camel caravan made it through in time before they could steal from us! These people were the cruelest people I have ever met! Clearly, a government is needed in a society like this! The image of the peasants pulling out their inferior knives is forever embedded in my head.

As I had mentioned before, I was extremely interested in the educational aspect of this trip. I have learned so much and I’m only halfway done with my adventure! I have seen many different types of architecture, for example, tan brick houses and intricate pillars. I have also noticed that in the port city that I am staying in is doing amazing economically because they had many boats that bring back goods that they can sell. Also I noticed how many people in my camel caravan were extremely religious; although, that was the only major religious encountering I had. One last thing I learned was that paintings aren’t all based around nature! I had not idea that there was anything else to paint about.

I am ready to journey back to China now. I miss my family with all of my heart! Although I love Tyre (the port city where I am staying,) I can’t stand one more person trying to make me a Christian. I leave at sunrise tomorrow morning along with the gifts I have purchased for my family: cloth from an Indian merchant, 5 dates from Kashgar, and a small bottle of perfume. I hope my family enjoys their presents as much as I have enjoyed my trip.

Margo S.

Period 9

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like Kwan Lee had an experience of a lifetime. Although this sounds like an amazing oppurtunity, i don't think i would take this same trip. I don't think my family or i could handle being away from home for such a long period of time! Also, this great adventure sounded like it turned dangerous towards the end, which i don't think i would be able to handle very well. if the trip were for a shorter amount of time, but i had the same intentions i may consider taking the trip. It sounds like fun venturing to a new place and selling goods to the outside world.


    Gabby M.

    Period 9

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trip seemed so interesting! I would love to embark on a trip like this. When it was mentioned that you almost got robbed by those people i was shocked. Although that would be extremely scary, i am willing to take the risk because now i know what town to avoid! I loved the aspect that the children and people from other towns were welcoming! This seemed like an awesome trip and i would love to take it.

    Kelly A.
    Period 9

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silk Road #3
    This person seems like a really interesting character and would probably be interesting to travel with. They are adventurous and smart, like when they stuck to an original map instead of making a new one. This is very clever because it saves a lot of time and the journey would be over faster. They also mentioned how they carried an advanced steel knife for protection. I would feel safer if I was traveling with them. The only issue I have with this person is the fact that they are not very resourceful. They mentioned that they ran out of water very quickly, which could be life threatening. Other than that, they seem like a sweet punctual person who wants to get things done. This is a good trait for business.

    Iana P
    Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot decide if I would want to travel with Kwan Lee. She seems very adventurous and interesting but some of her decisions weren't very smart. For example, not having water, almost getting killed by the peasants. I know she didn't exactly put her self in those situations but they happened and that would not have been an enjoyable part to the journey. Other than that I think it would be interesting to travel with her and experience the life of a merchant and understand what trade really was like. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm sure it really impacted you and helped you learn more about different cultures and trade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You trip sounds very interesting and i would like to travel with you. Even though your already half way through your journey and its already been a year! you seem like it would be fun to travel with you and i might be able to make a profit my self. But can you let me know after you go through the area, were you tied you coins to pocket and made sure you had them.I wouldn't want to lose my money.
    Tameem Shihadeh
    Per 2

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a heart beating journey! I think I would take this trip because of the real world experiences I would make. One experience of Kwan Lee’s that I must encounter for myself would be the extreme generosity of the minor from Kashgar. To have a total stranger greet you with some fresh fruit would be marvelous. Another aspect of the trip I would inarguably take for myself would be the educational aspect. Learning so much from the same route and visiting the same places would be useful in life. To be the any wiser from viewing new governments, and economies, and even street smarts would maybe make me a genius in my own hometown. But you must take in the good with the bad when it comes to real life so I would be interested by the ban of thieves that attacked Kwan. The situation would get my adrenaline pumping and prepare me for any future dilemmas. Overall I would take the same tip if I got the same real world experience from it.

    Erik P.
    Per 9

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems like a great journey and would be one I would like to take as well. I really liked how true to the time period it sounded. This just seems like one of those journey's that would be abosolutely fantastic to undergo and seems very rewarding. There are just an infinate amount of life lessons that could be taken from this journey. The story was fantastic and good work.

    ReplyDelete