Silk Road
Blog Post #2
June 1, 780
Dear Journal,
My trip along the Silk Road is definitely not ideal so far. We are camped in Miran currently. A lot of money is circulating because of the Silk Road. China is becoming rich and powerful and the goal of the Tibetan Army is to control parts of the trade route so that China will loose power and money. I have met many other soldiers fighting alongside me. Almost all of the Tibetan soldiers are peasants, like myself. Our army general is very strict; he serves as our own personal form of government. Our journey is treated as business, so not very much social interaction occurs here. The government we have seen from China looks very successful; China is economically thriving right now.
Not only have I met these soldiers; I am forced to live in close quarters with them. We live in very small, very messy, spaces. There are many dangers on this journey. Sandstorms have been a threat several times. Flooding is a major problem for us also. Ice in the riverbeds and on the mountains melts and uncontrollable flooding is caused.
We are surrounded my merchants trying to sell us cinnamon bark, spices, gemstones, ceramic, furs, tea, and silk. Production of silk is China’s secret. It is an amazing material; I can’t believe that they manufacture this. It is a unique material being sold only among Chinese merchants. New weapons I have never seen before are also being encountered on this trip. Material goods are not the only things I have seen traded along the Silk Road. Culture, ideas, diseases, and art are also being traded. Religions are being transferred along the Silk Road. For instance, Buddhism, which originated in India, is now being passed to Chinese people. Silk, which wasn’t available to Tibet, India, and surrounding countries, is now being traded.
This experience is definitely unique full with new art, people, religion, powerful countries, and culture.
-Li Ho
That's too bad that your experience is not going so well. I know its hard to be a peasant–especially when the rich people are always at the top. Let's hope that China doesn't end up declining in power after this! I also agree with you that silk is an important material–so may people in other countries want it! Hope the rest of the trading goes well!
ReplyDelete–Rachel J., period 1
The way you live while you travel along the Silk Road sounds very unpleasant. Having to live with people you are not allowed to get to okaw sounds extremely difficult. But when you are traveling, it sounds fun when you describe seeing the new goods that the merchants have.If I could travel the Silk Road without having to live as a soldier, I definitley would. Good luck and I hope your travels get better!
ReplyDeleteThe Silk Road sounds like a crazy adventure. But what a great experience to be on the Silk Road and be in between all the trading. I would have loved to see all of that happen! Although, it seems like a very hard trip to go on. The way you had to live for that period of time? Wow, i couldn't do that. I hope the rest of your trip goes well!! good luck!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow! It seems as though your experience on the Silk Road hasn't been going too well. You are experiencing very harsh weather conditions which can be hard to travel in and very uncomfortable when you are in the open, with no shelter to hide under. Also, you are in very tight living spaces with the people around you so it can't be very comfortable. Luckily, you are getting new material goods so your country can have new resources! Good luck on the rest of your journey!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth M. Period-2