May 5, 176 B.C.
My name is Feiyan Lu. I am 16 years old, and come from a high-class confucioius family of five. My sister is 17 and is about to get married into an arranged marriage, while my brother is 15 and learning the family business. My farther is in the works of finding a partner for me, but I have different plans. My whole life has already been planned out for me, but I don’t want it. Women here are viewed as useless, but were so much more. I feel like the only reason men want us on this earth, are so we can carry their child and raise it. Only if the child is a boy of course, but if it’s a girl, then gross, she’s useless. I cannot live this way; the thought of an arranged marriage to an older man sickens me. My sister seems to be doing fine with it, but I cant do it, I just cant. I want to live in a place where women are equal to men, instead of men being superior to women. There is only way to avoid this life, so that is why I am running away to the Silk Road. I stole a map from my fathers room and have decided that I am taking the route that starts at Chang’an, our nation’s capital not to far from my home town Diado, and heads down eventually leading to the Roman Empire. My hopes are to make it all the way to Rome; I hear great things about Rome. I am going to steel my family’s horse, and with it as much money as I can find. I look forward to this trip, and seeing all the neat things other countries bring and sell on the Silk Road. Wish me luck!
That is Chang'an, and that is the Route I am taking
This is me
I would be able to travel with Feiyan Lu, because I admire her spirit and courage, but I am not sure that she should make this trip. I think she is someone who is strong willed and not passive, like most Chinese women are, and she believes strongly in fairness and freedom. She despises the unfair social system in China of women being treated inferior to men and wants to live a fair, just life in Rome. Although her intentions to leave her male dominated family and future arranged marriage are understandable, however, Feiyan is making hasty and unwise choices to escape her life in China. Stealing a horse, money, and a map to get across the Silk Road could get her and me in some serious trouble if she is caught. Feiyan also needs to think twice about how much grief she would cause her family by running away, despite her unfair treatment. Instead of traveling along the Silk Road, she should talk to her family first and tell them how she feels about her lowly status in the family and try to negotiate with her family to be treated more equally with her brother. They might be willing to listen to her and not force her into a marriage she doesn't want. Therefore, Feiyan would be an exciting travel partner since she is a strong-willed person willing to take any risks to achieve her goals, she might also bring unhappiness to her family and danger to herself and me if she is found with stolen property.
ReplyDeleteI would travel with this person because they seem like a nice, caring, and smart person. I agree that woman should be treated better although i am one of the few that do i would help her make this journey. Alone i don't believe she could make it because women are treated so badly. Although the trip will still be hard it is a good and thoughtfully planned out trip. -Jack M. , period 1
ReplyDeleteFeiyan Lu is extremely courageous. She is very determined and wants to live her life not being told what to do. I support Feiyan Lu 100% in running away to the silk road. I would definitely come along for the journey, but she seems to be more independent. She would most likely do better off on her own. Stealing the horse and map was wrong, but its better than living in a world where you're considered nothing at all to anyone and live to work for and please others. Her life is not fair and she deserves to live better. Good luck Feiyan Lu you are a very smart girl you'll do fine.
ReplyDeleteMegan Danilek
9th Period
Silk Road Response 4
ReplyDeleteI would not travel with this person. She seems like she has the right ideas about how to live but i think that her actions are too rash. She should not run away all the way to Rome or even run away at all. She should peacefully protest for her rights. I would not take the journey she is going to take because she is going all alone without any plans. Besides this she seems like a pretty nice person.---David T.
I would not prefer travel with Feiyan Lu. I would not travel with her because she is young and sounds like she has not been outside of her home. I would not travel with a person with these qualities because she may be reckless & spry and almost get us killed or, she may be careless & may have not thought this journey through, also killing us. I do not want to travel with an inexperienced person whose ideas may result in death. I also do not want to travel with her because she explained in great detail why she was leaving her home town. If she was that good at details then I do not want one accident to happen and hear a great monologue from her complaining. In the end, it would be extremely difficult for me to travel with this person if she is at all like the impression I got from her.
ReplyDeleteErik P.
Per. 9
I would love to travel with Feiyan Lu. Her reason for leaving for the Silk Road sounds interesting and I admire her for being independent and choosing what she wants to do. She also has a planned route of where she wants to go which is a good thing. I agree with her opinion of male domination and that women should be equal to men. She is courageous and driven and she would make a good travel partner.
ReplyDeleteNatalie M
Period 9