Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Silk Road Here I Come


Blog Post #1

Paolo Bellotto

April, 1294 AD

Greetings! My name is Paolo Bellotto. Born in Rome, the "Eternal City", I was raised in a middle class family with three boys. I went to church every Sunday since I was a young boy. I am now 24 years old and living in Xian, China. I have been forced to move to China for a while to earn enough money to go home to Rome and raise a family. My job is a merchant. I will be working with a few families and I will be selling silk on the great Silk Road. Many people ask me if I am here to spread my religion but that is not true at all and I would never try to do something like that.

I am planning on starting in Xian, where I live, and from there I plan on traveling through the following cities: Lenchou, Lop Nor, Karashar, Kashgar, Dun Huang, Taklamakan, Samarkand, Kashkan, and end in Hecatompylos. I am planning on seeing cave temples, people of many different religions/cultures, and vast deserts. I will be traveling by caravan with a small group of Chinese merchants that will be ending in Kashken in hopes of bringing back horses for the military. I plan on going though the entire Silk Road in the next few years.

The picture at the top is a map of the Silk Road and of the route I am planning on taking over the Road. My father gave me this map and I will guard it very closely because it means a lot to me. The picture below is a picture of the area that I grew up in. I lived in one of the small homes near the center of the town. I will always remember the day my mother gave me this picture because it was also the day I left for Xian and that is why I am keeping these to pictures so close to me.

Rachel Erdman
period 2

4 comments:

  1. I would travel with this person because it seems like it will be a good experience. He is born in Rome and is traveling with Chinese merchants. This seems like a good mix of people to travel with. Also, he will meet people of other cultures so it will be a good experience to talk with them. I also want to see if he can bring back horses for the military or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silk Road #4
    This does not seem like a very interesting road to take. It seems too risky traveling with such a small group through such a vast space. There would be little protection from robbers and the weather. Caravans are convenient, but they would not protect against the harsh weather of the deserts. If I could alter this route, I would take out the cave temples and deserts. While they certainly do seem like interesting places, I find them way to risky.

    Iana P
    Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to travel with this person because he is going to see all of europe and china. I like to see other religions and cultures, as you do. I Would do you well as a partner because I am a good merchant. I have been doing it my whole life. I also think I will be able to help you out with the equipment because i don't think yours is appropriate for this journey. I also might help you become a hero with the things and new invetnions we find. So let me know.
    Tameem Shihadeh
    per 2

    ReplyDelete