Monday, October 19, 2009

A Trip I Will Never Forget

April 5, 104 BC

It’s me again journal! However this time I’m writing all the way from Beijing, China! It’s been a very crazy and hectic journey from Rome and I’m glad that we’re finally resting. We stopped along many cities and countries that I’ve never even heard about and learned about their languages and culture! You know what? I’ll just start at the beginning of our adventures.

Just after Pater (Father) and I had left our village, we stopped to pick up the Flavius’. Boy, have Anthony and Gram changed from the small, annoying kids that they use to be! After we loaded all of their goods and supplies into the caravan, we started along the Silk Road. We were really lucky to leave Italy at the time we did, because just after we left, men's silk was banned in Rome! Men’s silk is one of most profitable goods that my father sells, aside from women’s silk of course.

The only real problem that we faced along our journey to China were the robbers. I've never seen such scary men in my whole life. Not only were they evil looking, but you also could see their knives and weapons in their bags slung across their shoulders. We only encountered them once, but we were lucky because Pater and Marcus Flavius knew how to get them to go away.

After three months, we had passed Koria and Tuffan (just to name a few cities) when we finally hit the Great Wall of China! I have never seen such a beautiful sight and I never knew that something so big and so wide could be constructed in so little time, but it was right there before me. It was really an amazing experience. I can’t wait to bring back my painting of the Great Wall for Mater (Mother) and my sorores (sisters). They’ll be shocked to see its beauty.

Not only have we seen many cities and the Great Wall, but we have also met some very interesting people. Just yesterday I got the chance to go to a Chinese market. It was very different from the markets that we have back in Rome. The food that they sold was food that I had never seen before (rice) and the goods that they sold ranged from jade to porcelain. All the paintings that were for sale are amazingly intricate and like nothing I’ve ever seen before (this is where I got my Great Wall painting). I also got the chance to watch a poet write a poem about the mountains, and it was simply beautiful (he even let me keep it to bring home to Mater!)

<--- The painting of the Great Wall and the poem from the market!
















Throughout our time in China, I have come to realize that China is really different from Rome. First of all back in Rome the majority of the people are Catholics, but here in China many are Buddhists! Buddhism is really very interesting (how they’re one with nature) and I would love to become Buddhist one day, but I know that my Mater would disapprove. Also China has a lot of interesting new technology that I’ve never seen before! They have these blinking lights in the sky called “fireworks” and they’re beautiful! Every so often we’ll be able to go see a “firework” show and it’s really fun. Another thing that they have, that I’ve been begging Pater to get for back home on the farm, is a plow. They’re these really cool inventions that harvest your crops with just a horse! It makes farming a lot easier!

Even though a lot of things are different about China and Italy, we have some similarities too. One similarity is that we both have emperors. Right now Emperor Wu Di is in charge, and so far people seem to like him. Another similarity is that many people here are also merchants and there’s a very dominant middle class just like in Italy! You would only ever see the aristocrats, on very rare occasions in there fancy rich silk and expensive jewelry.

<--- A painting from the market of two aristocratic women












Oh journal, look at the time! Gram, Anthony and me are going out onto the town tonight to look around and meet some kids just like us! Wish us luck! I promise I’ll write again very soon! ☺

- Clara Cornelius

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that seems like a very interesting trip! I can see how Rome would be very much different from China. It's nice that you can trade so many things, and learn about and see new inventions made in other countries (like China). Speaking of that, the fireworks must have been amazing! The Chinese were probably interested in your country's goods too, as both countries are definitely interacting well in these years! I agree that the Chinese paintings are beautiful. They must have many larger meanings in them too, since the Chinese are known to have symbolism in their paintings, portraying their daoist philosophies. It seems like you had an interesting trip– let's hope the robbers don't come back!
    –Rachel J., period 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have liked to travel with this person, because not only would they be able to tell me interesting stories about their experiences living in Rome, but they would also provide companionship while traveling along the Silk Road. I would like to have seen the scary robbers they encountered along the Silk Road, because it would be very exciting and unusual. In addition, I would like to see the Great Wall of China, because after learning about it I realized that the story of its creation is very interesting, and I would like to be able to see how it remains.

    Claire R
    Period 1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would hate to travel alone and if i were to chose someone to travel with I would definitely pick someone like your character. Also there route would be very interesting such as the Great Wall of China and it would just be good to travel the silk road.

    The Silk Road
    Charlie Brown
    Period 1

    ReplyDelete
  5. SIlk Road #3
    Wow! i think it would be so much fun traveling with Clara. Traveling along the SIlk Road all the way from Rome would be amazing. Starting from Rome and ending in Beijing, a person would end up traveling the majority of the road. Clara was able to see the Great Wall, the people of China, and seeing eh difference in styles that were going on at the time. Silk being banned from Rome would be a nice luxury to buy along the Silk Road that Clara would have. Clara and her family seem like very interesting people and i would have enjoyed their company along that trip.

    Jessica S
    Period 1

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silk Road #2
    If I had to choose a trip to take, this would most definitely be one of my first choices. Even though there are some treacherous parts such as the robbers, there is also an upside to the trip. For example, I would probably meet some sweet people including the poet and painter. It would also be a great way to get to know other countries and religions. The new technology called 'fireworks' would also be very interesting to discover. When I would get back to my village, I would be able to tell them of the many alien experiences I had, which might help them open their minds to different perspectives.

    Iana P
    Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your trip sounds very interesting and I would love to take the same trip! I can’t believe you got to see the Great Wall of China. It must have been huge! I cannot imagine. Also, the fact you got to see the Chinese market and all the trading goods. Experiencing all those new things you got to experience must have been great. I would also like to go on your trip because China sounds so different from my everyday life. The new religions such as Buddhism, the new technology such as fireworks, and the plow are all new things that you experienced and they sound exciting.

    Natalie M
    Period 9

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Story I really liked the fireworks and the use of the painting. Also, incorporating the different words for mother, father, sisters etc. made it sound really authentic and from that period. The whole idea of the Chinese market was very cool and got my imagination started. I would have liked to go on that trip because it sounded so excited yet somehow educational at the same time. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete