Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Journey to find Enlightenment


In a few short weeks I will be leaving to embark upon my journey down the Silk Road. I’m very excited to be able to finally let go of all my materialistic items and just become one with the Universe. Although I’ve been practicing Buddhism all my life, until now I haven’t gotten rid of my desires to please myself. Some people think that I shouldn’t be going all by myself and leaving my family because they believe 15 years old is too young. But my family understands, and I believe I am ready to begin my journey to find enlightenment. I think the best way to do this is to travel to India, the place where Buddhism originated. Along the way I am also going to visit multiple cities to teach Buddhism before reaching my destination.

I have decided to wait a few weeks to leave because I would like to arrive before the sweltering months of summer begin, but I don’t want to leave when it is still winter. I’m hoping that by leaving in March I will be able to arrive before the weather becomes unbearably hot. I’m aware that it‘s going to take a long time to reach India because I’m going to be walking. I’m not bringing many things though, just the essentials to survive. Although I’m bringing nothing for myself because it is a Buddhist belief, I’m used to having nothing because my parents were farmers and couldn’t afford a lot. I am taking the Southern route, because it leads to India, but I will be able to stop at other cities without going out of my way. Right now I’m planning on visiting Dunhuang, Turfan, Kashgar, and Taxilla. I hope that once I’m in India I will be more educated about my religion.

 

 

Li Xiang

February 24, 144

Below is a painting of my father

4 comments:

  1. I think that i would travel with this person because... they seem dedicated to learn about buddhism by leaving at age 15. and they seem organized because they seem to have a route planned out for their journey. the only negative is that they may be unprepared with materials

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silk Road Response Question 2
    Your dedication seems great but I do not think that I would travel with you. You only bring the bare essentials, and I need more than that. You seem so devoted to Buddhism you wont let anything get in your way. I am not that type of person. I am a more free-spirited person. Your journey seems great and I am glad you are taking it. I am just a different type of person and would not like the things that you do. ---David T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to take this journey because I would learn a lot about the different cultures. I would love to travel along because I am also 15 and we could connect on the path to enlightenment. By seeing where Buddhism originated I would really be able to see the full extent of Buddhism and its practice. By visiting many cities I could see how different people think of their religion and how they practice it in their own way.

    ReplyDelete