September 30, 200 BC
Hello, again!! It has been so long since I last wrote. It is taking less time to travel than we had initially planned. So I decided to write you sooner and tell you about our journey. So far, our trip has mostly been going as planned. This is good because if something was to go wrong, I have no idea what Ming and I would do.
From the beginning, it took us a couple weeks to reach Lanzhou. Upon our arrival, it was very crowded. This was because a large caravan from the west was arriving as well. There were so many different things to trade or buy. I found the coolest thing; I think he called it an eyeglass or something rather. To the right is a picture of this fascinating object. Oh! And I almost forgot, he is Wong Song. Wong is traveling in a large caravan with his family. They are traveling the road to move to Turpan, where my aunt lives.
Wongs family had many different cultural differences from Ming and me. Before every meal, Wong and his family would do what they called “saying grace.” Wong said it was a way to thank God for what he has given them. I began to tell him about
Buddhism and he said his religion was called “Christianity.” It sounded very interesting. On the other hang, Wong and I have our social and economic status in common. We both come from large, low class families, and have become independent at a young age.
Back to my travels, our second stop was Jiayuguan, which also happened to be Wongs second stop. So, he asked if Ming and I would like to travel with his family caravan. Ming and I said yes! This was great for us because his family had extra food and more men to help us when needed. It was a long time until we reached Jiayuguan. We traveled day and night because Wongs uncles and older cousins attached our mules to theirs and they alternate who was in control so that we could travel faster.
Yesterday, we finally reached Dunhuan. The desert was more than I thought it to be. It is called the Taklimakan Desert and was just beautiful. Many merchants and peasants had cave shrines up to protect themselves from the desert. While we were here, I sketched a portrait of Wong and his brother. You can see it to the left. We have only been here one day and I have already learned a lot about the politics. Wong was telling me that wher
e he is from their government is run the same way and by the same people as where I am from. He doesn’t live as far west as I thought he did. Therefore, we both are run by
dynasties.
Well, I better be going! Wong’s cousins, Ming, and I are going to go on a night walk before the sunsets. Hope to write again soon.
Sincerely,
Mingzhou Lee
Kathryne Cole Period 9
Dear Mingzhou Lee,
ReplyDeleteIt has been so long since I have heard from you and Ming. Your travel seem very interesting. I do not think I would be as open to traveling in a caravan with strangers. They have different beliefs and traditions. It is hard to comprehend that people who are similar to us in so many ways (politically, socially and economically) can practice a different religion. What do they think of Buddhism? I do not think I could travel with you. I am content with my beliefs and not engaging in discussions with strangers about traveling or religion.
Your sister,
MIng Chu
I would love to go on the same trip as Mingzhou did. It sounds very interesting and fun. I would love to go to Lanzhou and see all of the interesting things that everyone is trading and selling. It would be interesting to learn about some things and buy some new technologies that the west has to offer. I also think Mingzhou trip sounds very relaxing and fun. I would love to meet new people like Mingzhou met Wong and his family. It also would be nice to travel in a caravan rather than by foot or mule. It helps you not become as tired, and make the trip go by a little bit faster, while seeing all of the same sights that you could see by foot.
ReplyDelete-Emily V. Period 2
I would like to travel with Mingzhou, because in Lanzhou they met a lot of new people and saw a lot of interesting items being trades, like eyeglasses. I think I would have liked to travel with Mingzhou, because they had the opportunity to travel with people the met while in Lanzhou, and because they got to experience other cities with their new travel friends. I think it would have been fun being pulled in a caravan with mules pulling it, because not only would you not have to walk but it would move very fast.
ReplyDeleteClaire R
Period 1
I think Mingzhou's trip would be fascinating and I would like to have traveled with her. Leaving the sheltered world of her village and seeing new places first hand must be very exciting. Mingzhou seems very open to new experiences and is adventurous; two good qualities of a travel partner. I would find it very interesting to meet and travel with people from a different culture. It seems that they were accepting of their differences and used their meeting as a way to share ideas about religion and politics. Discovering new things like eyeglasses would also be very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI think traveling with Mingzhou would be a joy, and very interesting nd enriching. The new technologies in Lanzhou sound fascinating and new! That would be a great experience, escpecially traveling with people you get along with. All new ideas and traditions would be so great to see! Also, being pulled by caravan would take a lot of the stress off of the trip. so it can just be enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteAllison M
Period 9
Traveling with Mingzhou sounds wonderful, having that company during a trip through China sounds fantastic. She seems like a very open minded person, and i would enjoy browsing Chinas history with her. It would be so fun to learn the different cultures and lives of the people in China. Not only did Mingzhou get to learn intellectually, but she also received material objects such as the eye glasses. This trip sounded facsinating and i hope to experience it someday.
ReplyDeleteKelly A
Period 9
I think traveling with Mingzhou would be an exciting and eventful learning expirience. Meeting Wong Song would be a great addition to the journey. He seems to know a lot about the Silk Road, the stops that are made, and the objects being traded. Christianity sounds like a fascinating religion and i would be very interested in learning more about it.
ReplyDeleteJessica S
Period 1
For those with terrible eyesight, these "eye-glasses" of which you speak of, could be the cure to this problem! I've gone years and years not being able to see what's in front of me, but if I could just get a hold of those eye-glasses, I may actually be able to see clearly! That would truly be miracle. Yes, I am thoroughly interested in this so called "Christianity" as you had described in your writing. I am very curious to learn more about this religion.
ReplyDeleteMarc Greenspon
Period 2
I would enjoy traveling with Mingzhou Lee. He seems like quite an enjoyable person, and especially open to new ideas, such as Christianity and eyeglasses. This leads me to believe that he is easy going and go with the flow. These types of people do not argue a lot and have good ideas, making them easy to travel with. He also seems to know about the silk road and seems to be very adventerous, which is always exciting.
ReplyDeleteIana P
Period 2
I think Mingzhou’s trip would be fascinating and I would like to have traveled with her. Leaving the sheltered world of her village and seeing new places first hand must be very exciting. Mingzhou seems very open to new experiences and is adventurous; two good qualities of a travel partner. I would find it very interesting to meet and travel with people from a different culture. It seems that they were accepting of their differences and used their meeting as a way to share ideas about religion and politics. Discovering new things like eyeglasses would also be very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI think Mingzhou’s trip would be fascinating and I would like to have traveled with her. Leaving the sheltered world of her village and seeing new places first hand must be very exciting. Mingzhou seems very open to new experiences and is adventurous; two good qualities of a travel partner. I would find it very interesting to meet and travel with people from a different culture. It seems that they were accepting of their differences and used their meeting as a way to share ideas about religion and politics. Discovering new things like eyeglasses would also be very interesting.
ReplyDeleteAnnie K
Period 9
I would love to go on your trip! Going to Lanzhou and seeing all those new things for trade must have been really cool. Especially, experiencing something new like eyeglasses. Also, it would be interesting to see the cultural differences in China like you got to see. Experiencing new things and meeting new people like Wong sounds fun too. Learning about different cultures and religions would be interesting. Visiting the Taklimakan Desert sounds cool and I have always wanted to see what that looks like. Your trip sounds very interesting and exciting.
ReplyDeleteNatalie M
Period 9
I think that Ming would be fun and excited because he met a new friend along the way. I would probably like to take the same journey because it seems like you got along with people very well. Also, it seemed like a great that you and Ming were going to the same place so you could have another buddy along the way. Its wonderful that you also got to learn about christianity. I think that this journey was a very accomplished one.
ReplyDeleteLeah Callahan period 9